Urban Edge (UE) seeks a motivated Project Manager to join our team. Urban Edge is a non-profit community development corporation (CDC) dedicated to strengthening communities and families. Together, we build affordable housing and vibrant, prosperous neighborhoods.
Our Organization and Our Community
Urban Edge is one of the largest not-for-profit community development corporations in Massachusetts. We are located where Boston’s Latin Quarter meets its historic African-American neighborhood, at the crossroads of Jamaica Plain and Roxbury, in Jackson Square. We aim to foster diverse urban neighborhoods of choice populated by resilient families and sustained by dynamic webs of community relationships. To achieve this goal: we build quality affordable housing for low and moderate income households; we advise hardworking families on homeowner services, financial education, taxes, and student loans; and we organize neighbors to become leaders of community change.
Urban Edge has a 2021 annual operating budget of $5 million, and a staff of 30. We have developed nearly 1,500 units of affordable housing. We maintain a portfolio of 1,369 units. Residents of our housing and our community are diverse and multilingual. In 2020, we served more than 3,000 families; in 2021, we expect to serve at least that number.
Real Estate at Urban Edge
Urban Edge has an active pipeline of residential and mixed-use development projects. We currently have 62 units under construction. In 2021, we will complete two project financial closings and begin construction on 65 units and initiate major renovations on 78 units. We will advance three additional development projects, including a homeownership development, a mixed-use new construction project, and a 191-unit renovation project. We will continue our important partnership with Jamaica Plain Neighborhood Development Corporation and The Community Builders to redevelop Mildred Hailey Apartments, a major public housing development in Jackson Square.
Urban Edge’s real estate development activities are led by our Director of Real Estate, to whom the Project Manager will report. The Project Manager will be part of a team of 4+ project management staff.
The Project Manager
The Project Manager will oversee a number of housing or mixed-use development projects in various stages of planning and development. They will receive support as needed to learn pieces of the work that are new to them, and have opportunities for growth and increased levels of responsibility over time.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Assess feasibility, conduct due diligence, create development plans, and secure site control for new development projects
- With Community Engagement staff, identify and support opportunities for meaningful involvement of residents and community members in our work
- Manage real estate transactions and closings
- Create and manage budgets and schedules
- Prepare funding applications and reports
- Solicit and evaluate lending and investment proposals
- Manage the project invoice and requisition process
- Manage communication and compliance with lender, investor, and funder requirements
- Lead the project team of architects, engineers and contractors through design and construction, with support from a third-party owner’s construction representative
- Maintain project files in accordance with Department systems and standards
- Coordinate with property management, community engagement, and relocation team to meet occupancy requirements and deliver exceptional service
- Perform administrative and other duties required for successful project management
- Collaborate with other departments in planning and implementing community events and/or media opportunities for real estate activities as necessary, and
- Other related duties as assigned.
Our Ideal Candidate
Urban Edge is looking for smart, creative, and hardworking people to join our Real Estate Development team. Our ideal candidate enjoys the diverse roles required for real estate development, and is comfortable working in a fast-paced, community-based environment. They will bring dedication, enthusiasm and a sense of humor to the work, and possess many of the following skills and qualifications:
- Two (2) or more years of experience in affordable housing development preferred
- Applicants with at least two years of other relevant professional and personal experience that prepares them for the role are encouraged to apply
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a related field or the equivalent in work experience
- Master’s Degree in a related field a plus
- Demonstrated ability to express oneself well in English verbally and in writing
- Strong problem solving and decision making skills
- Excellent financial literacy, including use of Excel
- Some familiarity with state, federal and private resources used to develop and operate affordable housing preferred
- Some familiarity with design and construction processes preferred
- Ability to independently organize and prioritize project activities
- Strong communication and team leadership skills
- Ability to work accurately under pressure, delegate, and coordinate the work required to meet project deadlines and budgets, and adapt to changing requirements
- Ability to interact positively with people of all ethnic and economic backgrounds, including members of our community, our staff, and outside stakeholders, and
- Spanish speaking and writing skills a plus.
The Application Process
Please submit a resume and a cover letter documenting your experience and interest in this position to: Urban Edge Project Manager Search, c/o Ann L Silverman Consulting, http://annlsilverman.com/urban-edge-pm/ Applications will be reviewed and acknowledged as they are received. Questions should be directed to: email@example.com.
Urban Edge offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience and qualifications, plus a generous benefits package. We seek to fill this position by June 2021, if not sooner. See www.urbanedge.org for more information.
Urban Edge seeks a diverse pool of candidates. We are committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or age.