Do you want to work with a dynamic, flexible organization engaged in meaningful endeavors to better Boston?
Does a passion for equity and community motivate you personally and professionally?
Are you looking to grow your skills through exciting projects and with experienced colleagues?
Dorchester Bay Economic Development Corporation (Dorchester Bay EDC) seeks an experienced Senior Real Estate Project Manager to join our real estate development team. Dorchester Bay EDC is an active and established community development corporation that serves the northern Dorchester and Roxbury neighborhoods of Boston.
The Organization and its Programs
Dorchester Bay EDC acts to build a strong, thriving and diverse community in Boston’s Dorchester neighborhoods. We develop, preserve and sustain affordable housing for rent and for ownership. We create commercial and economic development opportunities. We build community through community organizing and civic engagement activities. We are focused on the concepts of equitable development without displacement and providing opportunities for economic mobility.
Since our founding in 1979, Dorchester Bay EDC has developed and preserved over 1100 units of rental and homeownership housing and 200,000 square feet of commercial space. We have created around 1,000 jobs and involved more than 1,500 young people in after school leadership development and organizing activities. We are one of Boston’s oldest and most established community development organizations with an annual operating budget of more than $5 million and a staff of 27. Dorchester Bay EDC has $61.8 million in assets and owns or manages a rental portfolio with total assets of $185 million.
Real Estate Development at Dorchester Bay EDC
Dorchester Bay EDC has an active pipeline of transformative real estate development projects, including both commercial and residential developments. Dorchester Bay EDC’s active projects include its first Passive House at 9 Leyland Street and the first affordable senior housing project in our neighborhood, as well as Columbia Crossing, a joint venture project that will catalyze the revitalization of Upham’s Corner into an Arts and Innovation District. Dorchester Bay EDC has recently completed the Indigo Block, along with two partners, on a vacant, 2.7-acre site adjacent to the Upham’s Corner Station of the Fairmont Line. The Indigo Block plan, created through an extensive community process, and developed with both for-profit and nonprofit partners, includes 89 units of mixed income housing, as well as 24,000 square feet of light industrial and office space. As gentrification and displacement continue in Upham’s Corner, the development of Indigo Block delivers counterbalancing affordable housing and equitable jobs to the neighborhood. Dorchester Bay EDC leads local equitable development, ensuring that residents and local small businesses can remain and thrive in the neighborhood.
There are opportunities for a Senior Project Manager to grow with our real estate development department, taking on increasing responsibility. Professional development opportunities are strongly supported by the organization. The Senior Project Manager will report to the Director of Real Estate Development and will collaborate with real estate department team members as well as other staff within Dorchester Bay EDC. We consider ourselves a fun team to work with as we do important work to preserve and revitalize an important community hub in Boston’s largest neighborhood.
Our Ideal Candidate
The Ideal Senior Project Manager will be a person who possesses a variety of these experiences and attributes:
- Experienced project manager – demonstrated skills and experience in many of the phases of residential or mixed-use real estate development, ranging from project conceptualizing through assembly of financing, management of loan closings, construction management oversight, and coordination of project lease up.
- Dedicated community developer – a grounding in and commitment to community-based development, preferably in low- and moderate-income urban neighborhoods.
- Team coordinator – goal oriented, hands-on manager who can prioritize and drive multiple tasks to completion, while coordinating the activities of development team members, including construction personnel, architects, lawyers, and partners.
- Strong communicator – ability to communicate well and build working relationships with other staff members, partners, consultants, funders, and community members.
- Entrepreneurial thinker and decision maker – entrepreneurial spirit and willingness to think creatively to solve problems and move projects along in a timely fashion.
Technical Skills and Qualifications:
- B.A. in design, city planning, business or related field preferred.
- Three to five years of directly applicable work experience; additional work experience may be substituted for degrees.
- Familiarity with complex financing structures, preferably including Low Income Housing Tax Credits and related funding, preferably in Massachusetts.
- Some knowledge of real estate project management and lease up.
- Excellent computer skills, including spreadsheet, word processing and internet skills.
- Spanish or Cape Verdean Creole skills a plus.
Compensation and Culture
- Our compensation package includes a highly competitive salary with generous paid time off, including three weeks of vacation per year with a fourth week added in fourth year of employment, 13 holidays per year, 3 personal days and 15 sick days annually. In addition, we pay into a 403B retirement program that does not require individuals to contribute, offer dental and vision coverage, and contribute to comprehensive medical insurance plan options.
- Dorchester Bay EDC is committed to providing a diverse, flexible and inclusive workplace. Staff are currently working from home due to COVID-19, and we expect to continue with some work from home opportunities.
- We encourage community engagement and participation, and offer up to one week of compensated time off to pursue volunteer projects or initiatives.
We seek candidates who embrace our mission and bring a sense of humor and passion to their work.
The Selection Process:
Please submit a cover letter, detailing your salary requirements and your qualifications for this position, along with a resume to https://annlsilverman.com/dbedc-project-manager/. No phone calls or letters please.
Note: If you are interested in working with us, but have less direct experience than we are requesting, please address that question in your cover letter with a description of what in particular you bring to this position.
Dorchester Bay EDC offers an attractive benefits package and a competitive salary range ($90-$120K for a Senior Project Manager).
Dorchester Bay Economic Development Corporation views diversity, inclusion and cultural competence as vital principles in all our work with clients and communities. We welcome and encourage applications from visible minority groups members, indigenous persons, members of the LGBTQ community, persons with disabilities and others who may contribute to the diversity of the organization and reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.