Dorchester Bay Economic Development Corporation (Dorchester Bay EDC) seeks a Project Manager or a Senior Project Manager to join our real estate development team. Dorchester Bay EDC is an active and established community development corporation that serves the North Dorchester region of Boston.
The Organization and Its Programs
Dorchester Bay EDC acts to build a strong, thriving and diverse community in Boston’s Dorchester neighborhoods. We develop, preserve and sustain affordable housing for rent and for ownership. We create commercial and economic development opportunities. We build community through community organizing and civic engagement activities. We are focused on the concepts of equitable development and providing opportunities for economic mobility.
Since our founding in 1979, Dorchester Bay EDC has developed and preserved over 1100 units of rental and homeownership housing and 200,000 square feet of commercial space. We have created around 1000 jobs and involved more than 1500 young people in after school leadership development and organizing activities.
Real Estate Development at Dorchester Bay EDC
Dorchester Bay EDC has an active pipeline of real estate development project activity, including both large commercial and residential developments. DBEDC is completing, along with two partners, a vacant, 2.7 acre site adjacent to the Upham’s Corner Station on the Fairmont Line. The Indigo block plan, created through an extensive community process, and developed with both for-profit and nonprofit partners, includes 89 units of mixed income housing, as well as 20,000 square feet of light industrial/commercial space. Recently completed projects include the redevelopment of 147 units of affordable housing at Cottage Brook Apartments, the $56 million, 129-unit Quincy Heights housing development, which was funded with one of the first Choice Neighborhood Grants in the country; and the Bornstein and Pearl Food Production Center, a $15 million redevelopment of a 36,000 building that houses new and growing food businesses. Our active projects also include another 56 units of housing in our portfolio that we are redeveloping, a 43-unit senior housing building closing on construction in 2021 and responding to extensive mixed-use Uphams Corner RFPs to be issued in 2021.
There are opportunities for a Project Manager or Senior Project Manager to grow with our real estate development department, taking on increasing amounts of responsibility, including potential supervision of future project managers., Professional development opportunities are strongly supported by the organization. The Project Manager or Senior Project Manager will report to the Director of Real Estate Development, and will collaborate with real estate department team members as well as other staff within Dorchester Bay EDC.
Our Ideal Candidate
The ideal Project Manager or Senior Project Manager will be a person who possesses many of these experiences and attributes:
- Project manager—demonstrated skills and experience in many of the phases of residential or mixed use real estate development, ranging from project conceptualizing through assembly of financing, management of loan closings, construction management oversight, and coordination of project lease up.
- Dedicated community developer—a grounding in and commitment to community-based development, preferably in low and moderate income urban neighborhoods.
- Team coordinator—goal oriented, hands-on manager who has the ability to prioritize and drive multiple tasks to completion, while coordinating the activities of development team members, including construction personnel, architects, lawyers, and partners.
- Strong communicator—ability to communicate well with and build positive working relationships with other staff members, partners, consultants, funders, and community members.
- Entrepreneurial thinker and decision maker—entrepreneurial spirit and willingness to think creatively to solve problems and move projects along in a timely fashion.
Technical Skills and Qualifications:
- B.A. in real estate development, city planning, business or related field preferred; additional work experience may be substituted for degrees
- Two-five years of experience working as a project manager in a nonprofit, public agency or private development company, with some nonprofit experience preferred.
- Familiarity with at least some of financing sources used for large scale affordable housing or commercial economic development projects, preferably including Low Income Housing Tax Credits and related funding.
- Some experience interacting with key public and private project development funders in Massachusetts preferred.
- Some knowledge of commercial real estate project management and lease up.
- Excellent computer skills, including spreadsheet, word processing and internet skills; familiarity with project management software tools.
- Spanish or Cape Verdean Creole skills a plus.
We seek candidates who embrace our mission, and bring a sense of humor and passion to their work.
The Selection Process:
Please submit a cover letter, detailing your salary requirements and your particular qualifications for this position, along with a resume to: https://annlsilverman.com/dbedc-project-manager/. No phone calls or letters please.
Dorchester Bay EDC offers an attractive benefits package and competitive salary.
Dorchester Bay Economic Development Corporation views diversity, inclusion and cultural competence as vital guiding principles in all our work with clients and communities. We welcome and encourage applications from visible minority group members, indigenous persons, members of the LGBTQ community, persons with disabilities and others who may contribute to the diversity of the organization and reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.