NewVue Communities (“NewVue”) seeks a Deputy Director to lead and oversee our Community Organizing, Housing and Financial Services, and Small Business programs, and the associated fundraising, marketing, administration and communications activities. The Deputy Director will serve as a key leader within our organization. NewVue is the leading community development corporation (CDC) in North Central Massachusetts.
NewVue is a community-based non-profit organization whose mission is to improve the quality of life for low and moderate residents in North Central Massachusetts through community development. NewVue was founded over forty years ago. We now serve residents in communities from Athol to Harvard. We work to: improve and stabilize neighborhoods; promote small business development; and build the economic, physical and personal assets of local communities and their residents.
NewVue currently has a staff of twenty. We are a key partner in improving Fitchburg’s North of Main Neighborhood and InTown Fitchburg. Over the next few years, work in North of Main and InTown will accelerate. The Deputy Director must be adept at both focusing our work in this neighborhood and in continuing to expand NewVue’s regional reach.
NewVue has been the recipient of numerous awards including MassInc’s innovation award and most recently our director of organizing won the Ricanne Hadrian award from the Massachusetts Association of Community Development Corporations. We are an affiliate of the national NeighborWorks network. Our Community Organizing, Housing and Financial Services, and Small Business programs serve about 1,000 people each year.
NewVue is currently working in a hybrid environment. We expect staff to work at least two days per week in the office, but we recognize that the situation is evolving.
The Deputy Director
The Deputy Director will ensure that our Community Organizing, Housing and Financial Services and Small Business programs are effective and advance NewVue’s mission. They will lead strategic resource development, communication and budget oversight for these programs.
The Deputy Director will report to NewVue’s Executive Director.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Ensure that programs have a sound business and financial model and are aligned with strategic plans and longer-term goals of the organization and meet the needs of the communities we serve
- Recruit, retain and develop program and fundraising directors
- Design new programs, and redesign and grow existing programs to meet the changing needs of our communities
- Collaborate with Real Estate team to ensure that our programs and real estate development activities support one another
- Collaborate with the Finance team to ensure that the programs are operating on sound financial footing
- Help NewVue Communities become a more diverse, equitable and inclusive organization by implementing the MACDC race equity pledge that NewVue adopted in late 2021
Fundraising and Outreach
- Set the direction for and oversee strategic resource development efforts, including some researching, reviewing or writing grant proposals and reports
- Oversee our efforts to raise funds through the Community Investment Tax Credit Program
- Build partnerships, develop new revenue streams, and seek new revenue sources as needed
- Design marketing and outreach activities to maximize the impact of programs, and assist with fundraising and reputation building and other marketing needs
- Work with fundraising and communication staff to redesign new website
Evaluation and Compliance
- Analyze Salesforce, dashboard reports, market and community data to determine needs and effectiveness of programs, and ensure that resources are being put to best use to achieve the organization’s mission
- Collaborate with the finance and compliance team to ensure that NewVue is in compliance with program grant terms
- Facilitate collaboration among programs and enhance internal communication
- Work with staff to coordinate training for all program staff
- Attend departmental meetings and program events
- Work with the administration team to ensure that programs and resource development activities are running smoothly
- Coordinate office management tasks together with the finance and administration team
External Relations and Communications
- Advocate externally for the mission of the organization, in collaboration with Executive Director
- Help develop effective and strategic partnerships that will advance NewVue’s mission
- Cultivate and maintain strong positive relationships with external community groups, partners, and stakeholders
- Work with the Executive Director to develop an effective strategy to lead and oversee NewVue’s work in North of Main and regionally, and
- Other external relations and communications management as required by program activities.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
The Deputy Director should be a dedicated team leader and strong communicator who enjoys overseeing program activities and serving as a strategic leader in a mission driven, community-based nonprofit.
The Deputy Director should have many of the following skills and experiences:
- At least two years of program management experience, ideally overseeing 3-4 senior managers
- An ability to manage and motivate staff, provide strategic advice and appropriately delegate responsibilities
- Skill at overseeing multiple projects and initiatives effectively
- Strong written and oral communication, and fundraising skills
- Ability to oversee program and Agency marketing and communications.
- Ability to build and manage strong and collaborative relationships, both within the organization and with key partners
- Demonstrated leadership and customer service skills
- Experience developing and tracking program budgets
- Ability to work with the Executive Director and senior managers to create and implement a shared vision for the programs, and to implement the Agency’s goals
- Experience and skill at working well with diverse cultures and institutions serving low to moderate income constituents
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, and
- Some familiarity with Salesforce, and an ability to learn programs and systems that support the programs.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, or exclusive. The Deputy Director may be asked to perform other tasks as may be required. They must be sensitive to the needs of low and moderate-income persons, as well as responsive to the community that NewVue serves, funders, program participants, and NewVue’s members. The Deputy Director will demonstrate respect for others and contribute, building on what they bring to the organization.
If you believe that you have skills and qualifications that would contribute to NewVue and to this position, we encourage you to apply. Please submit a cover letter and resume as one document via the form below. No letters or phone calls please. Questions should be addressed to: email@example.com.
The salary range for this position, subject to experience and qualifications, is $95,000-125,000.
NewVue Communities views diversity, inclusion and cultural competence as vital principles in all of our work with clients and communities. We welcome and encourage applications from visible minority groups members, indigenous persons, members of the LGBTQ community, persons with disabilities, and others who may contribute to the diversity of the organization and who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.